Family Support Workers
Our names are Hannah Aldridge and Debbie Stagg and we are the Family Support Workers at Freemantles School.
Our roles are to help provide a link between the School and home and to offer support and guidance to you, whilst your child is at our School.
We aim to do this by:
- Facilitating communication between the School and yourselves
- Organising support groups and drop-ins, to offer advice and a chance for you to talk informally with other parents / carers
- Offering one to one support and advice in a non-judgemental environment
- Arranging a home visit where necessary
- Arranging guest speakers at School, to advise on a range of topics
- Providing clear guidance on Special Educational Needs and offering support with your child’s autism
- Helping you to understand and access information from external agencies, that can offer support to your child
- Signposting for charities and grants for specialist equipment
- Helping you to get the correct financial support with benefit checking assessments
- Keeping you updated with local upcoming events and groups that might be of interest
- Providing practical help and emotional support to you and your child, during times of crisis
- Providing support to you and your child, during times of change at School
- Providing support with form filling for DLA and DVLA
- Supporting parents at professional meetings for social care, health etc
- Helping to complete Transport applications and appeals
- Completing referrals for specialist dentist appointments and the continence service
- Providing supporting letters where necessary
We also run the Home Extended Learning Project (HELP Programme) which usually consists of 6x 1 hour sessions carried out at home after school. Two HELP practitioners implement strategies at home that are known to work at school for the student, with the aim of parents taking over and continuing with them.
We are both qualified Sleep Practitioners through 'Sleep Scotland' and provide support for all our families. This process starts with an initial assessment followed by a tailored programme.
If we can be of any help or you would like to speak to us about any matter, you can contact us on:
Freemantles Parents' Group
The Freemantles Parents' Group typically meets once per month during term time.
The Parents' Group is a great opportunity for Freemantles parents to get together and discuss issues, ideas and solutions relevant to their children - refreshments are of course provided!
These meetings are currently overseen by the Family Support Workers, and we try to offer a variety of training opportunities and guest speakers when possible.
Our Learning Experience Groups are informal meetings run by our specialists here at Freemantles. They are a chance for all parents/grandparents/carers to learn about interventions that we use in school that may support your children at home.
Dates for your diary - Parents' Groups 2022/23
30/03/23 10.00am-12.00pm TEACCH
04/05/23 10.00am-12.00pm Social Stories/Comic Strip Conversations
04/07/23 10.00am-12.00pm Attention Autism
Parent Support Groups:
06/03/23 12.00pm-2.00pm Sleep Support
28/04/23 10.00am-12.00pm Eating Support
05/06/23 12.00pm-2.00pm Hormone/Puberty Support